Monday, March 18, 2013

From Miss M - Dance Criteria and Poetry


"Grade 8's,
When creating your choreographed dances remember your dance elements (levels, space, and unity). Also, consider the meaning you are trying to portray, song choice, use of technology, and dress!
You'll do great!"


Eastdale’s Best Dance Crew
In groups of 4, your group will choreograph a dance to compete against other groups for the title of Eastdale’s Best Dance Crew. You will perform to your dance to the judges and be scored based on a point system. The winner of Eastdale’s Best Dance Crew will be featured in the first 15 seconds of Eastdale’s Harlem Shake.
Within your dance, consider the movements or choreographed moves we have learned about in class (Ex. Line dancing Cotton Eyed Joe, Zumba, movement cards). Your dance must be 2 minutes long and portray a particular theme. [Remember during our movement lesson we created movement pieces that portrayed an environmental issue].
Consider:


-          Ideas: Celebrity videos/ dances, Zumba, movement cards, line dancing, etc
-          Where the audience is sitting
-          Dance Elements
o        Levels
o        Use of space
o        Time
o        Energy
-          Multimedia
o        Song choice
o        Costumes
-          Technology
o        Background projected backdrop
o        Lighting



Once you have choreographed your dance, you will write a final dance reflection. Your reflection will explain the choices you made in your dance piece. For example, why did you choose your theme? What movements demonstrated your theme? Why did you choose that particular song? What technology and costume choices did you make and why? How well did your group work together?
Your reflection must be 1 page double spaced.
1- 5 Points for:
-          Use of Technology
-          Appropriate song choice
-          Costumes 
-          Performance
-          Unit of movements
-          Use of space
-          Use of Levels
-          Within time range
-          Visibility of Theme



Rubric Assess Reflection and Choreographed Dance
Criteria
S
S
T
Knowledge and Understanding- What I say or do
- I used appropriate dance element vocabulary 
- I incorporated the requirements of the dance assignment 
- I used appropriate choreography to create a dance piece
- I used technology to enhance the message being communicated



Thinking- The way I explained
- I highlighted the theme and elements in my choreographed dance
- I explained my thinking process to why we made certain decisions |
(ex. choreography, technology, lighting, costumes, theme, etc)



Communication- The way I reflected and expressed my ideas
- I made connections to choreography and theme choices.
- I expressed my creative choices using dance elements vocabulary.
- I edited my work to ensure there were little to no spelling or grammar mistakes.



Application- How I connect to it
- I choreographed a dance piece incorporating elements of dance
- I made connections between dance and theme.
- I was a polite and respectful audience member.



What was well done






What was missing








The poems we looked at today:
Where the Sidewalk Ends by Shelf Silverstein
Love is Patient by Corinthians
Where is the Love? by The Black Eyed Peas
Oh Pioneers by Walk Whitman
Oh, the Places You'll Go! by Dr.Suess


Today, write poetry journal. I want you to write a reflection on how you feel about poetry.
1) Here are some questions to get you started
2) When I read poetry I feel...
3) My favourite poem is...
4) My favourite/least favourite part of poetry is...
5) I think poetry is about ....
6) How does poetry connect to emotions?

2 comments:

  1. Amit-22
    why did you choose your theme? the theme we used was everyday life we choose this because we knew moves from past experiences that went well with the theme such as the lawn mower. What movements demonstrated your theme?moves that went well with our theme were important jobs and hobbies that we do occasionally. Why did you choose that particular song? we choose the song radiation because the beat and the sounds went good together with the dance moves. What technology and costume choices did you make and why?we used regular clothing in our dance because it went well with our theme. How well did your group work together? our group worked really well together because we cooperated and each were involved in the choreographed moves and we had fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. brandon7 we chose the theme everyday life because its like lawnmower shopping cart fishing so thats why we picked that. we picked that song because it was the only one we had. we dident have the costumes and stuff.

    ReplyDelete